Propane Safety

Keeping your family safe is Sharp Energy’s top priority. Be proactive and take time to review these safety tips with your family. 

Sharp Energy sends out safety information throughout the year updating you through emails and social media. It is important that we are able to inform you of weather related safety information to you and your family. For the most up to date weather alerts and emergency information, stay subscribed to our emails and follow us on social media.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your servicing office.

An unpleasant odor has been added to enable you to detect even the slightest leak. Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Propane manufacturers add the smell to help alert customers to propane leaks, which can create a safety hazard.

If you smell gas or suspect you have a gas leak, please take the safety steps from Propane Education & Research Council, or PERC.

No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.  Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones.  Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.

Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.

Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so.  To close the valve, turn it to the right.

Report the leak.  From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call Sharp Energy right away.  If you can’t reach Sharp Energy, call 911 or your local fire department.

Do not return to the building or area until emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.

Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a Sharp Energy service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and poisonous. Inadequate ventilation or a gas appliance malfunction can cause carbon monoxide buildup. You may have a buildup problem if the air in your home smells stale or stuffy, has high humidity or you find soot from your propane gas fireplace or furnace throughout your home.

If members of your household experience flu-like symptoms, loss of muscle control, headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea or vomiting, exposure to carbon monoxide may be the cause of the illness. If you believe you have been overexposed to carbon monoxide seek immediate medical attention. 

To learn more, download the brochure.

If you smell gas and believe you have a gas leak, call us immediately or call 911. We provide 24-hour emergency service every day of the year.

  • Dover, DE – 302-678-2400
  • Georgetown, DE – 302-316-7000
  • Newark, DE – 302-273-7060
  • Easton, MD – 410-822-8261
  • Glen Burnie, MD – 443-856-4570
  • Pocomoke City, MD – 410-957-1501
  • Salisbury, MD – 410-749-4147
  • Pocono Lake, PA – 570-646-5626
  • Allentown, PA – 610-530-1535
  • Belle Haven, VA – 757-442-4328
  • Mattaponi, VA 804-294-7001

Know what’s below. Call 811 before you dig.

Interesting Links and More Information:

Propane 101
PERC 
Call 811 Before You Dig

An unpleasant odor has been added to enable you to detect even the slightest leak. Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Propane manufacturers add the smell to help alert customers to propane leaks, which can create a safety hazard.

If you smell gas or suspect you have a gas leak, please take the safety steps from Propane Education & Research Council, or PERC.

No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.  Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones.  Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.

Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.

Shut off the gas. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so.  To close the valve, turn it to the right.

Report the leak.  From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call Sharp Energy right away.  If you can’t reach Sharp Energy, call 911 or your local fire department.

Do not return to the building or area until emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.

Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a Sharp Energy service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and poisonous. Inadequate ventilation or a gas appliance malfunction can cause carbon monoxide buildup. You may have a buildup problem if the air in your home smells stale or stuffy, has high humidity or you find soot from your propane gas fireplace or furnace throughout your home.

If members of your household experience flu-like symptoms, loss of muscle control, headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea or vomiting, exposure to carbon monoxide may be the cause of the illness. If you believe you have been overexposed to carbon monoxide seek immediate medical attention. 

To learn more, download the brochure.

If you smell gas and believe you have a gas leak, call us immediately or call 911. We provide 24-hour emergency service every day of the year.

  • Dover, DE – 302-678-2400
  • Georgetown, DE – 302-316-7000
  • Newark, DE – 302-273-7060
  • Easton, MD – 410-822-8261
  • Glen Burnie, MD – 443-856-4570
  • Pocomoke City, MD – 410-957-1501
  • Salisbury, MD – 410-749-4147
  • Pocono Lake, PA – 570-646-5626
  • Allentown, PA – 610-530-1535
  • Belle Haven, VA – 757-442-4328
  • Mattaponi, VA 804-294-7001

Know what’s below. Call 811 before you dig.

Interesting Links and More Information:

Propane 101
PERC 
Call 811 Before You Dig

Sharp Energy Logo

Need More Info?

Contact Us