With Sharp Energy scam awareness, stay informed about the latest scams targeting energy consumers. Plus, get the specific tips you need to recognize potential scammers, and important guidelines that will help you act accordingly.
Indications of popular scam activity include:
- The scammer – pretending to be a company representative – acts angry and tells the customer that his or her account is past due and service will be disconnected if a large payment isn’t made – usually within less than an hour.
- The scammer instructs the customer to purchase a prepaid cash card – such as a Money Pack Card widely available at retail stores – then calls him or her back to use the card to supposedly make a payment to Sharp Energy.
- The scammer asks the customer for the prepaid card’s receipt number and PIN number, which grants instant access to the card’s funds.
To Protect Sharp Energy Customers
- Sharp Energy reminds customers that its representatives never ask for immediate payment with a prepaid cash card over the phone or in person.
- Customers with concerns regarding the legitimacy of a phone call about a past due bill, service request or request for personal information are encouraged to call Sharp Energy at 1-888-742-7740.
- Customers with delinquent accounts will receive past due reminder notifications through the mail. Customers would never receive a phone notification one hour before disconnection of service.
- Customers should always ask to see identification before allowing anyone claiming to be a Sharp Energy representative inside their home. Sharp Energy employees always carry their identification and are willing to show it to you.
- All Sharp Energy service personnel wear Sharp Energy attire branded with the company’s logo. If a person claiming to be a Sharp Energy employee has identification and you still feel uncomfortable, call Sharp Energy’s customer service line at 1-888-742-7740 to verify an appointment and/or the presence of Sharp Energy personnel in your community. If you feel threatened in any way, notify local law enforcement immediately.
How to Respond to Suspicious Activity
If you believe you’ve encountered a scammer posing as a Sharp Energy employee, or involving the name and likeness of another utility company, please take the following steps:
- Hang up the phone, or close the door.
- Call your utility company’s direct and verified phone number. You can find this number on your utility bill, as well as the company’s website.
- Do not give the caller or visitor a prepaid card, a wire transfer or any other form of payment that may be difficult for law enforcement to trace.
- Ignore suspicious requests for personal information, such as bank account numbers, user names and passwords, credit card numbers, and Social Security numbers.
- Delete and block any emails from utilities that are not your service provider.
- Delete all suspicious emails that require immediate action to verify or provide personal information.
Report Fraud or Scams
If you have been the victim of a scam, please contact us by calling 1-888-742-7740. You can also contact the authorities listed below:
- Federal Trade Commission (File A Complaint Online. Or Call 1-877-382-4357)
- Your Local Police Station
- Your State Attorney General’s Office
To reach a Sharp Energy Representative, call 1-888-742-7740. Monday thru Friday from 8:00am-4:30pm.